-->

Friday, October 25, 2013

October 25. Day 298. Making the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end

It's enough to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.
Half way across the Eleanor Schonell Bridge, a single bunch of flowers is tied to the railings.
Yesterday marked four years to the day since a man three days short of his 23rd birthday fell to his death at that spot.
His family have tied a heartfelt note at the spot and as I walked across the bridge this afternoon to check out the wildlife at the University of Queensland, I watched people stop and read.
In part, this is what the family said:
"He made us all laugh and now he made us all cry.
When the tears stop, we'll make jokes about how Whitney will be shaking up heaven, in the same way he lit up our lives.
I hope God has a good sense of humour.
This was a tragedy we never prepared for. Whitney lived without regard for personal safety. He lived for enjoyment. And joy is what he always meant to leave behind.
No question, Whitney got a full life into his short life."
It's moving and chilling. Young men and their bullet proof attitude to life. Young men who do crazy things.
I never knew Whitney or his family but I felt a lump in my throat as I read what they'd written.
To me this verse from Hamlet and today's image sum it up
"I could a tale unfold, whose lightest word would harrow up thy soul, freeze thy young blood, make thy two eyes, like stars, start from their spheres, thy knotted and combined locks to part and each particular hair to stand an end, like quills upon the fretful porpentine."
RIP Whitney




No comments:

Post a Comment