-->

Friday, January 13, 2017

January 12. Day 12. A little birdie told me

Unless you want to starve or live on a self sufficient commune, grocery shopping is a necessary evil. And pretty much inevitably that means lining the pockets of one of  a very small number of giant supermarket operators. The reasons people may choose Coles, Woolies or Aldi over one of the rivals probably comes down to cost, convenience or product range. At least that's what I would once have thought. But these days I do my neighbour Margaret's shopping and she's a Coles girl because the birds in our street only like Coles mince. Now I would not want to show any disrespect to my elders but in all honesty I'm not sure that's true. I've seen crows eat road kill and never stop to survey it for supermarket of origin. But the avian appetite in our area is even more particular, apparently. I once bought marked down mince which was unacceptable because it was "yesterday's stock". Again, when you routinely eat food off the bitumen, I'm not convinced it makes a difference. But I know better than to argue. My care factor as to which of the big two and a bit I give my money to is very small indeed. I could toss a coin or go with what the little birdie told me. As long as I don't starve or have to live on a commune, I'll go with that.







No comments:

Post a Comment