-->

Friday, November 21, 2014

November 21. Day 325. It's as easy as ABC

 Somewhere in the great unpublished collection of parental sayings and wisdom there is a chapter that deals with dishonesty. Every parent knows it. Every parent tries to instill its lessons in his or her young.
The rules are like this. If you steal the last Tim Tam from the biscuit jar I will be annoyed and rightly you will be punished. But if you lie and say you did not take the Tim Tam and I find the evidence on your crumby fingers, the crime of the lie well outdoes the original breach. Try and cover it up and you might find yourself grounded for life. Lying and failure to take responsibility for your actions are poor displays of human ethics and thus can not go unpunished. This is what I think about the ABC cuts. As a journalist and consumer of the ABC I am deeply concerned and saddened by the ABC funding cuts. But what makes me mad as hell are the lies and the cover-up. You can not stand up before the Australian people the night before a general election and sat there will be no cuts to the ABC and then do the exact opposite. This is the sort of act that gives politicians a bad name. But to really lose respect failing to acknowledge the cuts and insist on calling it an efficiency dividend is holding the electorate in utter contempt and should be treated accordingly. I don't think you've heard the end of it. Not by a long shot.

My mate Donna signs the poster to government


Terri Butler, my Federal MP, also joins the fight

No comments:

Post a Comment