-->

Thursday, November 13, 2014

November 13. Day 317. Do you see what I see?




Beauty is not the only thing in the eye of the beholder. Let's face it so much of what we "know" is only a version of the truth coloured by our background, experience, culture etc. How often do you hear radio interviewers criticised for being left wing stooges or right wing apologists often for their handling of exactly the same story. We all look at the world through the filter of our own biases. This sprang to mind as I watched to Wayne Coco Wharton being interviewed from the Musgrave Park G20 protest site today. He talked very articulately and at length about the intimidatory tactics of the police around the protesters and how they circled the park in large numbers looking threatening. I saw the police. I saw their numbers and I watched them walk. To me they looked bored. Very bored and if anything slightly embarrassed. Now let's be clear. I am most certainly not camping in Musgrave Park and with a salon-groomed designer dog in tow, I probably don't scream "protester". It is well possible that the treatment I get is not the same as others but I can only tell you what I saw. I just think we might all have a little less to complain about if we did try to see it through the eyes of others occasionally.






No comments:

Post a Comment