-->

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

November 20. Day 325. The sting


“Say I feel all sad and self-indulgent, then get stung by a wasp, my misery feels quite abstract and I long just to be in spiritual pain once more - 'damn you tiny assassin, clad in yellow and black, how I crave my former innocence where melancholy was my only trial.” Russel Brand. Articles of Faith
Beautiful things wasps. Striking. Elegant almost. And their nests are architecturally inspired.
Really what's not to like? Oh, I remember their sting, a sting that can quit literally pack a killer punch.
Isn't that just a metaphor for life. The things we are most attracted to are the things that are the worst for us?

And why with all the possible nesting places in the world, did this lot feel a need to set up home on my front fence right near the gate where I really can't leave them to get on with it? I mean all the little creatures have a right to coexist, even the nasty ones, right? Exist, yes. By my front gate. Sorry, no.
Which brings me to Monty Python and the year we discovered All Things Dull and Ugly and decided to play it at full blast out the window at our very religious neighbours. Repeatedly. Yes, we were being dull and ugly.

But the lyrics still bring a smile so here we go:

All things dull and ugly,
All creatures short and squat,
All things rude and nasty,
The Lord God made the lot.
Each little snake that poisons,
Each little wasp that stings,
He made their brutish venom,
He made their horrid wings.
All things sick and cancerous,
All evil great and small,
All things foul and dangerous,
The Lord God made them all.
Each nasty little hornet,
Each beastly little squid,
Who made the spikey urchin,
Who made the sharks, He did.
All things scabbed and ulcerous,
All pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.
Now if anyone knows how to move this lot along without risking being inflected with a pain capable of easing any melancholy I'd be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment