-->

Sunday, February 9, 2014

February 8. Day 39. I'm no slacker




 When The Maker was handing out my personal toolkit, I think he or she got distracted and forgot to add two pretty important instruments - balance and coordination. Seriously, if there is anyone more capable of tripping over her own feet, I have yet to meet her.
So I am always in awe at the slackliners in the park on a Saturday afternoon who manage to not only walk across the balance lines strung between trees but tumble, jump and do goodness knows what else while hovering metres from the ground. They are a friendly bunch who always offer to let me have a go. And, naturally, I always decline. Until today. For some reason I can't explain, Dan convinced me to have a go. "You can't come all this way and just watch," he said. But I like to watch and I only live a couple of minutes walk up the hill but still I agreed.
Even though I'd only just met Dan he let me use his arm for support and told me to walk as though I was in a dark room with Lego on the floor. Gently put the toe down first. Hey, I'm a mum. I know that manoeuvre. And it wasn't a complete disaster. I walked from one end of the line to the other and even managed to turn and walk back. I finished my turn and was giving myself a big pat on the back when five-year-old Sam jumped up on the line and walked unaided.
I figured he was probably a child of one of the slacklining veterans who had been doing it since birth. Nope. First time. His family just wandered down the park and the kids thought it looked fun. That's what I hate love about kids. No-one has told them they can't so they just do. They have no fear and a great sense of adventure. And for most part a truck load more balance and coordination than I do. But I will still award myself a gold star for effort.
I might have been totally outclassed by a five-year-old but at least I gave it a go.
Next time I might even try without grasping the body of a man I've never met. See, I'm no slacker after all.


9 comments:

  1. well done for trying my daughter would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you made it to the end. Good for you taking the challenge. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Susan, it looks impossibly hard to me and I'm sure I wouldn't manage it. You Look quite a pro there and I'm sure we loose balance with age. I'd love my kids to have a go at this. What fun. A lovely Country Kids entry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing action shots as always. Well done for getting involved x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, look at you go! I am so rubbish with balance as well, I'd be nervous too! That little boy is awesome. I love these pictures of yours.

    Nipping over from Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband bought himself a slack line (as you do!) and the boys love it, they got quite good at it over the summer. I have to admit that I didn't try it though, good for you giving it a go! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd give you a gold star too #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that looks like lots of fun! Well done you! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, that looks really difficult, but fun. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete