-->

Sunday, February 23, 2014

February 22. Day 53. The camera NEVER lies (except when it does)

They say a picture is worth a thousand words and the camera never lies. Yeah well, that's crap.
I mean, how many times have you been somewhere really beautiful and taken a photo and it looks very, very average. And you can also make a place that is very, very average look rather nice. Such it was in my brief stay in Newcastle. Now I am sure there are some very, very nice places in the Hunter region. I just didn't see any of them in my flying stay. We were in what I shall describe as a "Bates Motel" on the highway close to the airport. If you wanted a picture that told one thousand words it would have been that on my face as I opened the motel room door. Yep, 1000 words there, not one of them printable.
On paper (well Google Maps) the location was rather nice. On a golf course, across the road from the Hunter River, a short distance from a nature reserve. So I went for a walk and discovered litter, illegal dumping and a look across the river to a highly industrial area. But without even a filter or the use of an app you can get a result that is really quite nice bu just being very selective in where the camera is pointed and which lens is used.
Anyway, we weren't in Newcastle on a sightseeing tour but to see comedian Kitty Flanagan perform - and she was awesome;. Eventually I may even look back on the rest of the stay and laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Your photos of Newcastle are a bit like life. We can chose to focus on the sunsets and seashells, or the smokestacks and rubbish. Where we focus doesn't change reality, but it does change our experience / memory / feelings about it all.

    ReplyDelete