-->

Friday, March 15, 2019

March 15. Day 74. We can be heroes


One of my all time favourite songs is Heroes by David Bowie.
I, I wish you could swim,
Like the dolphins
Like the dolphins can swim
Though nothing, nothing will keep us together
We can beat them, forever and ever
Oh, we can be heroes just for one day  
Some times being a hero, takes doing something really heroic. Some times just getting out of bed in the morning or getting through the day should earn you a medal.
Heroism, like just about everything else, is relative.
I saw Heroes tonight, by which I mean I saw the Tom Stoppard by of the same name. It's a 2005 adaptation and translation of Le Vent Des Peupliers by Gerald Sibleyras. The action is set in a French retirement home for First World War veterans in 1959. The wikipedia page defines it as a comedy. It's true, it is darkly funny , but it is also biting in its observations and sadly poetic. And it says a whole lot about how we define heroism. I liked it a lot.
You can hear just ho much in our review here











No comments:

Post a Comment