-->

Friday, March 17, 2017

March 17. Day 76. Keep your eyes on your fries




There's an ad which is getting rather a lot of airplay at the moment. It's advertising, of all things, advertising. A bloke is under hypnosis in a therapist's office "How do you feel?" the therapist asks. "I feel like a Toohey's," he replies. Every question is met with another advertising slogan. A good copywriter can devise a campaign which will stay in your head at times decades later. Like Macca's (although I don't think we referred to the Golden Arches as Maccas back then). Every time I see the Ibis near my office pinching the chips from a plate I am taken back to 1978 and the Keep Your Eyes on Your Fries McDonald's ads. That was a golden age of McCommercials. I reckon that was around the time when we were told "Choosy cheese choosers always say cheese please when they choose for the cheesy cheeseburgers at McDonald's". And it's decades since I've eaten a Big Mac but I still know it's made from two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun thanks to advertising. Which proves everything - and nothing. It proves advertising can get into your head but it doesn't prove it can get into your wallet. It's just like the ibis that can get into a bowl by handing over no cash at all. Good work if you can get it. Now all we need is another campaign to reming people to protect their food, especially the fries.









No comments:

Post a Comment