-->

Sunday, August 14, 2016

August 14. Day 227. Bringing home the bacon




 Pigs. I love them. I feel an incredible affinity with them. I mean, they are exceptionally cute for starters. But you know that song Swing on a Star? It wouldn't scan but if you changed the word pig and substituted Susan it would be pretty close to the truth:
A pig is an animal with dirt on his face
His shoes are a terrible disgrace
He's got no manners when he eats his food
He's fat and lazy and extremely rude
But if you don't care a feather or a fig
You may grow up to be a pig...

 So I spent rather a lot of time at the Ekka today admiring the pigs. I stayed right up until some hilarious person came up beside me and started calling them bacon. Yes, I eat pork and ham and bacon but I prefer not to be reminded of it when admiring the little porkers. So I left and headed to the fine arts to check out the photography. The winners were announced ages ago so I knew there would be no ribbons on my entries but I wanted to see if my entries were considered worthy of hanging. It's a mini competition within the competition because space restrictions mean not all entries are displayed. Last year, all eight I entered were displayed. This year, six of the eight. If I'm honest, the two I least liked were the two they didn't hang but I was a little disappointed. There were many, many incredible photos on display. Some I could never take in a million years but they don't seem to be the ones the judges select. It perplexes me greatly. And then I noticed something. Lots of people were stopping to look at the close up of Winkle and the crab. I heard one group say it was their favourite. Yeah, it was the favourite of the photos I entered too and the fact that others who have never met Winkle or me liked it was reward enough. I walked away happy. I resisted the temptation to celebrate with a bacon burger ...
















No comments:

Post a Comment