-->

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

December 9. Day 343. Beached

I was so self congratulatory when I decided not to take our traditional family holiday in early December delaying until February. It is sooo much cheaper in February once school goes back and as I am no longer tied to school holidays, February seemed like such an excellent idea. And I am sure it is. My Facebook feed, however, is taunting me. Everywhere it is full of beautiful beach photos and happy families frolicking in the waves. I want to be there but of course I have made my bed and I now must sleep in it. Still that doesn't mean I can't get sand between my toes. This afternoon with a couple of hours to kill between dropping Drama Teen off at rehearsals and picking him up again, I took the fur friends to Comslie Beach Reserve. Calling this riverside park a "beach" is a long stretch but there is sand and there were people fishing and splashing and making sandcastles so that has to count for something, right? Down on the sand I ran in to two-year-old James and his Nanna. While James admired the dogs, Nanna told me she picks up young James from day care every Wednesday and they always go to the beach. They pick up sticks, or draw lines in the sand, or paddle or build sand castles. It might be a city beach but it is still a beach. I think there is a lesson in that for all of us, especially those with Facebook Feed envy.





No comments:

Post a Comment