-->

Saturday, June 2, 2018

June 2. Day 153. Oom pah pah



 I had a Fawlty Towers moment today, specifically episode six The Germans. Anyone who knows anything about Fawlty Towers knows what I am talking about. It's the one where Sybil is in hospital and German guests are at the hotel. "Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it." Classic Basil. Well here in Brisbane we have had a German invasion of sorts and it's at South Bank. There are two places in Brisbane where a German theme makes absolute sense for a restaurant.  Nundah, where I used to live has a very strong German heritage from the early white settler days. But in more recent history there was a real German flavour at South Bank and that flavour was beer.  Anyone who was in Brisbane in 1988 will know what I'm talking about.
 The German beer house was an Expo 88 favourite. It was where we all learned the chicken dance. And now a very short distance from that beer hall and just under the only surviving Expo 88  statue on site is a new German restaurant. It's all lederhosen  and dirndl. It's beer steins and sausages. My guess is there is probably sauerkraut too but I didn't hang around too long. I had places I needed to be and besides, I didn't want to risk mentioning the war.

























No comments:

Post a Comment