-->

Thursday, June 11, 2015

June 11. Day 162. Over the Top

Being brave is not about being unafraid. Being brave is about finding it within yourself to do it anyway, despite your fears. There have been a lot of tears and tantrums in our house of late and I'm not even the one doing the Year 12 exams! Bloody stressful business and people react to stress in very different ways. Drama Teen is, as the name would suggest, more likely to put on a performance. I tend to sob. Charles tends to withdraw. I was thinking about this today as I stopped to get some fresh air and buy some breathing space. On the Kangaroo Point cliffs, a group of teens were about to go over the top in an abseiling trust exercise. Some were doing the full bravado thing, some had gone all quiet, others appeared to have withdrawn but in the time I was there every one of them eventually made it to the edge and received a loud round of applause when they took that first step over. And that's the thing, you can get by with a little help from your friends at least most of the time. Down below on the river there was another exercise going on. Five craft with service personnel snaked remarkably quietly up the river. I have no idea what they were training for but whatever it is I hope they never have to put it into action. These are the guys we need to be brave when the chips are really down. I hope it doesn't come to that  but I'm glad to see they are readying themselves should it happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment