-->

Monday, May 20, 2013

May 20. Day 140. Greedy guts

Perhaps it is because it is autumn and the birds are trying to fatten up ahead of winter, but the birds were going off today eating like there will be no tomorrow.
There seemed to be plenty to go around but on my walk I witnessed more than one cat fight between birds each apparently trying to get a better share of the prize blooms.
I love the look of the noisy miner, it's beak still coated with nectar looking for the next flower to gorge on. (I also love the way the angle of the bird and the colour of its bill mimics the petals of the Bird of Paradise. Isn't nature a wonderful thing?)
Frankly, I know how the bird feels. As soon as the weather turns and the mercury drops, the desire to eat comfort food grows. I am sure there is some good survival reason for it, something about building up a layer of fat for when food supplies dry up during the winter.
Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Now where's s sticky date pudding? I'll fight you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment