-->

Thursday, June 8, 2017

June 8. Day 159. Enough is enough

You don't get that much for $100 these days. You certainly don't get two hours with a therapist or a motivational speaker. And yet for around the cost of one of those green notes tonight you also got to hear the voice of an angel. Broadway and West End star Sierra Boggess performed her cabaret Awakening at the Concert Hall, QPAC tonight. Strangely though seconds after the Phantom of the Opera star walked on to the stage, I was transported not into a Paris opera house but to the cafe booth of that iconic scene from When Harry Met Sally. I speak here not of Sally's impression but the reaction of the diner in the next booth who says "I'll have what she's having". My God, where does that energy come from. It was like the Energizer Bunny after a few cans of Red Bull.Oh for a fraction of that energy. Oh for a fraction of that talent. Oh for a fraction of that beauty. Wait up. Time for me to take a dose of Sierra's tonic  "You are enough. You are so enough. It is unbelievable how enough you are." Good for her. It's not that I didn't like her motivational sayings... "We are not what we do. we are not what we have. We are not what other people think of us" ... they made a lot of sense. It's just that I didn't come to QPAC to hear the words of motivational guru Wayne Dyer. The voice I wanted to hear was Sierra's. When she was singing she was sublime. When she was telling her own life stories she was captivating. That's what I wanted to hear not the best of quotes of speaker who died two years ago. Still Sierra doesn't care what I think because to quote her quoting Wayne "What other people think is none of your business".
For what it's worth I preferred it when she talked about the need to escape into nature, preferably near water when things get tough. I get that. I do that. I did that with the dogs today. She was at her best when she wove her own stories through her music. She shone. She glowed. Enough of the folksy home spun wisdom. Sierra, you are enough. You are so enough. It is unbelievable how enough you are.
You can here our podcast review here




No comments:

Post a Comment