-->

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

March 15. Day 75. Claws are out

Stupidity I can forgive. Let's face it whether it's nature or nurture there's not much a person can do if their lunch box is one sandwich short. You go hungry. It's not your fault, it's just the way it is. But what is likely to get my claws out and have me fly off the handle is when someone is blessed with an intellectual banquet but fails to use it. That is just so bloody annoying. Most of the world's population would have no hope - none - of attending a university like the one that pays my wages. Even in this country, even in this city the competition for spots in the main degree I teach into is pretty intense. And yet it is an opportunity that is too often squandered. In the past week I have been working with a group to cover the world science festival in Brisbane. Their commitment and enthusiasm has been outstanding. I'd be a happy little Vegemite if that was every student, every day. But there is always a small number who might find committing time to work is more productive than inventing excuses, just saying. Do it right the first time and you won't need to keep clawing your way back. You might even find your soar.




No comments:

Post a Comment