-->

Monday, March 14, 2016

March 14. Day 74. Scale of the problem

Anyone planning on needing resuscitation somewhere in my vicinity take heart - my CPR training was today officially signed off an for another year. I even have a latex rash on my face to prove it. We were warned that if latex intolerance was an issue to cover the faces of the CPR dolls before getting up close and personal. I didn't bother because I have no issue with latex, at least I didn't until today. Now it looks like I was playing an over aggressive game of suck face with the thing rather than trying to breathe life into it. I find CPR in equal measures terrifying and reassuring. It is good to know that you might be able to help in an emergency. But at the trainers share their horror stories I find the level of panic rising. Practicing CPR on an infant is, frankly, terrifying if you let yourself think about it - and so I don't. Instead I distract myself by thinking about other things such as the time my dad performed CPR and mouth to mouth on our dog. As the trainer talks about how deep you need to compress the chest for an adult, compared with a child or an in fact I find myself pondering, "what about a dog versus a puppy"? We learn where the put the defibrillator pads on both adults and children and I wonder whether fur would be an impediment. What can I say, I am an animal lover and I would perform CPR on my fur babies in a heartbeat (of course if there was a heartbeat I wouldn't need to). And then post course I take the dogs for a walk to visit the ducks and lizards at South Bank and Winkle tries to fall in a drain. I didn't need to perform first aid. I hope I never do. They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I this regard I say it's much better than no knowledge at all.
 Cr

No comments:

Post a Comment