-->

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

August 21. Day 234. One man's trash

It scares me just how much we throw out.
By we I actually mean me because I am not sure that the males in my house actually know where the rubbish bins are or what they are for. What do you do with an empty milk carton? Put it back in the fridge and hope no-one notices. How many men does it take to change a toilet roll? No-one knows, because it has never been done before.
Anyway, we live in a throw away society and what gets turfed from my fridge alone would be enough to sustain an individual for quite a long time.
It really is a disgrace not to mention a costly exercise.
One man is doing more than his fair share of work to expose just how wasteful we are.
Sculptor  Christopher Trotter has made a career from creating works of art from junk.
His works are dotted around Brisbane and south-east Queensland but today my eye was drawn to a work on the Brisbane River at South Bank.
The work called Bio-mechanical Pelicans sits perfectly on the stretch of river between South Bank and Kangaroo Point.
It's a pile of old nuts and bolts that really captures the essence of the birds proving that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

2 comments:

  1. I really like his work. Makes you stop and think, in much the way you note in your comments...

    ReplyDelete