-->

Saturday, January 26, 2019

January 26. Day 26. Happy Australia Day


There is nothing wrong and a whole lot right about celebrating a national day. But a national day really should be about the things that unite us and not those that divide us. Australia Day on January 26 makes no sense. As a child growing up in school we were taught a version of history which made us feel all flag waving about the date. The date would never have been acceptable to indigenous Australians. It has just taken some of us longer to catch up. Some may never come along and personally I suspect the Invasion Day label will cement the entrenched views in many minds. I get it, but I don't think it's helpful right now. Then again I have no Indigenous ancestry that I'm aware of so it's really not for me to say. But I do want an Australia Day and I want it to be more than an excuse for a long weekend. I firmly believe it will happen. The question is when not if. 













No comments:

Post a Comment