-->

Saturday, January 4, 2014

January 3. Day 3. It's a kind of magic

There is probably a detailed scientific explanation as to why the sun setting over the Gold Coast Broadwater this afternoon looked as it did. Smoke in the atmosphere from bushfires on Stradbroke Island, combined with temperature, humidity, wind speed, barometric pressure and who know what else doubtless combine in a formula that created something spectacular to behold. If I wanted to know, I'm sure a meteorologist could explain it to me. Or I could just enjoy the spectacle for what it is and be blown away by its magic. Personally I prefer the latter. So it is with magic of the stage illusion kind. I know no-one has ever been sawn in half, had knives thrust into the bits, been set on fire in the name of magic, levitated, disappeared or any of the things that happen in a big magic act. Yes, my eyes are almost certainly deceiving me. Yes there will be smoke and mirrors and goodness knows what else but I don't care and I certainly don't want to know. I want to be amazed. I love the sleight of hand. I love the illusion.
Which was what made the magic show I witnessed tonight so disappointing. I thought the big danger of my front row seat might be that I ended up on stage as a prop in a giant theatrical display. If only.
From my particular angle I got to see far more than I bargained for and let's just say many of the illusions will never be the same again. For me magic should be like a sausage roll - it's best enjoyed without knowing what went into it. The great sadness is, once you know you can never look at it the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment