-->

Friday, February 15, 2013

February 15. Day 46. Off with the fairies

I am having a bad hair day.  Actually I am having a bad hair month ever since a hairdresser interpreted "Just a bit of a trim, same but shorter" to mean "Chop into it, lots of layers, complete restyle please". I seem to encounter many a hairdresser who is not happy unless you are getting value for money which is interpreted as taking off way more hair than I am happy with.
Anyway, it's not fair. Some people seem to be able to wear short and spiky hair and it looks fabulous. On me it looks like a boy. According to my son it looks fugly (in case you are uninitiated that means very ugly, well sort of).
So this morning I was hiding under a hat at the Roma Street Parklands when I photographed this Superb Fairy-wren, plumage all spiky and fabulous looking.
But that's not the only unfair thing about this little bloke (and it is a bloke because the girls are brown which is also unfair).
What is unfair here is that according to Birds in Backyards these birds have been "labelled as the least faithful birds in the world. Females may be courted by up to 13 males in half an hour and 76% of young are sired by males outside the social group". Wow.
So despite being plain and dull looking with bad hair, very attractive males they barely know throw themselves at the females. And they still manage to look good at the end of it.
They do, however, have high pitched trills. I must say I'm not surprised what with all that action.
Perhaps what I need is a blue tint. If I ask the hairdresser for a shade of red I might get that.

21 comments:

  1. British hairdressers are the same,never listen and you never get what you want

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous picture! I hate going to the hairdresser too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous picture. Sorry to hear about your bad hair month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning, such detail and amazing colours

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am desperate for a hair cut and colour!!!that bird has a fine head of turquiose hair though! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning picture, really outstanding. About the hair...it grows back. I find you have to be very direct and clear with your hairdresser tell them how many inches or centimetres you want cut off, take that picture even though you know you won't look like that it gives them a guide. Tell them to stop if you think they are taking off too much. Better luck next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know some birds like that, but they are not half as pretty ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 13 in an hour? OW! Great detail on the photograph.

    Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh he is a handsome chap! Beautiful shot, wish I could get one like this

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! I don't know what else to say! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love reading your description! I've had lots of the same problems with hairdressers, they seem to ignore what you actually want! This is a gorgeous photo, he does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another stunning photo, yours are always ine of my favourites each week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a similar experience when I was a very nervous teenager and I thought my life had ended. These days I am always anxious about having my hair cut as it is true that they always seem to do their own thing. It will grow back though and that is yet another fabulous photo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty macro! I am always nervous about the hairdresser, because they never seem to get it they way you tell them, regardless of what you say, they use their liberties to do what they think!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully captured photo. I love the vivid green colour

    ReplyDelete
  16. So unfair that boy birds get all the plumage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful little bird. I haven't come across one before (I suspect because I live on the other side of the world from them) but you've captured him brilliantly. It always makes me wonder how, in the animal kingdom it's always the males with all the plumage and exotic markings, and in humans it's us girls who put the make up on.

    ReplyDelete