-->

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

August 8. Day 221. Because of Her, We Can


It tastes like chicken. We've heard it many times before applying to just about every exotic or unfamiliar meet. Well, I'm here to tell you that emu sausage tastes nothing like chicken. Emu sausage tastes not unlike any other sausage incinerated on a barbecue. My first taste of emu came as part of QUT's Murri-Ailan Way celebrations which this year paid special tribute to the impact of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women.
I learned a great deal including about the didgeridoo, specifically that I would never play one. Given how poor my breathing and ability to make sound out of any wind instrument this was never something I considered to be a viable option. But today I learned that only men can play the instrument. I also learned that each didgeridoo has a unique sound and that is due to termites. 
Instrument makers collect wood  seeking out branches already hollowed out by termites. They are tidied up,  carved and decorated but the actual hollow is the work of termites. Seems they can use their powers for good as well as evil. Who knew. Not me, obviously. But that's part of the point of the Murri-Ailan Way celebrations. To teach non Indigenous Australians about Indigenous culture. I still have a lot to learn but every journey starts with a single step.













































No comments:

Post a Comment