-->

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

August 28. Day 241. Droning on


Many years ago, shortly after receiving an epilepsy diagnosis, my son learned he would never be a pilot. He said he was devastated. He said he's always wanted to fly planes. Um. No. He's never expressed any such desire. I'm pretty sure he was articulating the words performer as he travelled down the birth canal.  Just the same, being told you can't do something is in its own way devastating. Today I came to an equally shattering revelation. I will never fly a drone. In a lecture I had unkindly called Droning On, my colleague TJ discussed the mechanics of commercial drone piloting. He talked about yaw,  rolling and pitching. My head not the drone started to spin. I was the girl who couldn't get the basics of ballroom dancing because left, left, left, right, left was too hard. When giving directions, I will often say "turn left". Pause "No not that left. The other left". I'm tragically directionally challenged. And now I also have to face facts that I will never be a drone pilot. Life can be so unkind.






No comments:

Post a Comment