-->

Monday, August 27, 2018

August 27. Day 240. Fashionably late




I wouldn't call it a hierarchy as such but not all Creative Industries students are created equal. In fact, as often as not, you can identify the different cohorts a mile off. The dancers have a particular way of holding their bodies and walking.  The actors have voices that project across the parade ground and the fashions students are, well, fashionable. These kids don't dress in things that look like they have come off a shelf, any shelf. I walk by the fashions studios on my way from my lecture to my tute on a Monday. I'm always running late. Today I was running late but I stopped to watch. The students had spilled out of the studios and were congregating outside. Some were engaging in some sort of photo shoot but in one corner was a girl with her glitter. I stopped to talk. She was a second year student working on an assignment. The brief was to upcycle. They had to make three old garments new again. A denim jacked was receiving glitter frills. A black T Shirt had been fabric embossed and flowers were being stitched on a white singlet. These were not garments you buy in a shop. These were individual. These were personal. These were items decorated by hand in a society where just about everything is mass produced in China. This was not just giving the old clothes a longer life, this was giving them a better life. I rather suspect that in a time-is-money world, these are not items that would be very profitable but that's not the point. The point of these items is their individuality. And this is why fashion students stand out. They let their clothes do the talking.















No comments:

Post a Comment