-->

Saturday, April 28, 2018

April 28. Day 118. In too deep

Movie session times with a nine at the start and an am at the end are not a concept I generally recognise. Indeed, it's been decades since I've done such a thing. Nine. Sure but always the other nine. The one after noon. But Isle of Dogs is reaching the end of its season and I wanted to see it. The screening times are both limited and inconvenient. So we went a brunch time. But I came out into the noon day sun in  a state more confused than I went in. Here's the thing, Isle of Dogs is notionally about dogs banished to an island of garbage because of dog flu and snout fever. But the stop motion Wes Anderson animation is just as much about displaced people and ethnic cleansing. It's charming, funny and heartbreaking all at the same time. Arguably you can get away with more when you make it about dogs. For me, however, a tale about banishing family pets because it becomes politically expedient to do so sends me into a bit of a flap. This is, of course, why it is effective. It hits home. You can make it funny and absurd in a way  human story can't do. I loved it even before 10am.














No comments:

Post a Comment