-->

Sunday, August 13, 2017

August 13. Day 225. Careful, he might hear you


Like just about everyone my age Get Smart was compulsory viewing in my childhood. I didn't know it at the time, but it was my introduction to the genius of Mel Brooks. It was also my introduction to fashion and style thanks to the wonderful Barbara Feldon. Anyway, Get Smart fans will know immediately what I'm talking about when I mention the Cone of Silence. When there was information that should not be overheard Max Smart always insisted the Chief enter the cone. It was always an epic failure. Either everyone could hear or no-one. As often as not they would get stuck in the cone. Anyway, during my visits to my neighbour Margaret in hospital I rather wish I'd had an operational cone. It's as though she thinks the thin curtains between the four beds in the ward absorb all sound. If that's her plan well she "missed it by that much" (another Get Smart reference where that in this context mean a huge margin). She talks about the other patients, their visitors, their ailments, their moods, their showering routine, their meals and even the volume of their televisions as though they somehow can't hear her.
"Would you believe that woman only ate a spoonful of Weetbix this morning," she'll say. But on the upside she's looking well, she's enjoying the attention and she may be allowed home this week. Hospital is treating her well ... and she's loving it (another Get Smart reference).

No comments:

Post a Comment