-->

Sunday, May 26, 2019

May 26. Day 145. Voice of an angel


Did I mention I was taking singing lessons? Yes, of course I did, partly to overcome the childhood trauma of being told in choir in Year 6 I should mime in Mass. Singing and choral music, and hymns are all wrapped up in a big ugly basket of trauma for me. The singing lessons are starting to unpack the basket. So today, in the Holy Trinity Church Hall in Fortitude Valley I was able to listen to Mezzo Soprano Amanda Cole tell the story of  an 11th century German mystic and appreciate it for what it was - hauntingly beautiful. Hildergard and Volman is a story of faith and friendship and music. Now I can listen to it for what it is and not be taken to 11-year-old me being told not to sing because the piece was designed for sopranos and that is not, and probably never was me. I consider this a miracle in itself. As they say, God works in mysterious ways.








No comments:

Post a Comment