-->

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

April 3. Day 93. Don't bite the hand that feeds you


So there was this young bloke in the Botanic Gardens eating his lunch out of a Tupperware-type container. It looked like some kind of stir fry with rice. Being a warm, caring sharing typeof bloke he was feeding some to the water dragons - by hand. Naturally the tourists were enthralled because, well, our lizards are pretty impressive. Naturally I was enthralled because I love water dragons.  So I struck up a conversation as I do. I noted that I'd seen plenty of people feeding the lizards but he was the first I had ever seen actually invite them to take the food off his fingers. Indeed he was putting his fingers into their mouths. "That's because they bite," he said. Which sounds sensible until you realise he was still feeding them by hand. He also commented that the lizards were smart. They could tell when he was trying to offload the rice and were not very interested. It was the chicken they were after. Fair call really. I like the lizards a lot but not enough to a) put my fingers in their mouths or b) waste good chicken. Each to their own.













No comments:

Post a Comment