-->

Friday, April 26, 2019

April 26. Day 116. Thai me up

I was too young to remember when I had no grandmothers: not yet two years old. My last grandparent died when I was 18. So really I don't know a whole lot about what it means to be an adult grandchild. My son and his cousins are different. 
My mum is going strong. They all have grandparents on the other side of the family.
It is a very different world in which they exist. This is a new Australia. This is an Australia where Thai food is as much a thing as meat and two veg. So tonight my mum took me, my husband, and two of my nieces and nephews to a meal out.
I can not imagine suggesting Pad Thai  or green duck curry to my grandfather.
But he was dead in an era where Chinese food was about as ethnic as it got. Australia is evolving. My family is evolving and a plate of red duck curry is as good a place to start start that conversation ... it's grand, right?









No comments:

Post a Comment