-->

Saturday, July 23, 2016

July 23. Day 205. Dancing queens


 So so much is said about the idle youth of today.
Apart from the fact that every generation seems to think the next one is full of slackers.
I mean  philosopher Socrates who lived from 469–399 B.C.E. famously wrote: “The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.” 
But honestly those who write those things are not seeing the full story. Today I was invited to witness a small dance display which my delightful nieces Lucy and Amelia were involved in. There had already been netball in the morning and shopping and a film shoot in the afternoon. 
One of my other nieces, the lovely Cleo, played netball for her club in the afternoon and school in the morning although perhaps it was the other way around.
I get tired just thinking about it. However another talented group of young people may have uncovered the real reason I'm tired.
Tonight I saw Seven Little Australians, a story etched in my youth. As part of the plot, the children had been banned from attending a pantomime because they had been most badly behaved. They dreamed of what they would do if mean old Dad was out of the way. One decided they would go to a show every night. "If you went to the theatre every night your eyes would be out on stalks".
Yeah but you would be happy, cultured and avoid housework ....










No comments:

Post a Comment