-->

Thursday, April 25, 2013

April 25. Day 115. Freedom

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. So I am totally aware that the fact that I "intended" to go to either the dawn service or the Anzac Day Parade today really counts for nought. Fact. I managed neither. If I was to get a letter from my mother explaining my absence it would go something like this "Susan was unable to make the Anzac Day commemorations today because she was hanging out the washing".
Yep, that's a really solid reason for not honouring those who served the country in war. Not.
The truth is a little more complicated but would look equally lame brain in writing.
But in my defence I did spend the day reflecting on Anzac Day and what it means to live in a free country such as Australia. This is not something we should ever take for granted.
So there is no pictures of the parade this year. Instead today's offering is a celebration of what the Anzac's fought for - a great country and the freedom of Australian spirit.
Free to wear what you like when you want.  Anna, Shelby and Tasharni who I ran into in Grey Street this afternoon revealed there was no reason for their outfit choices this afternoon. They just felt like it. We're lucky like that. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about. As our national anthem goes "Australians all let us rejoice for we are young and free". Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment