-->

Friday, December 21, 2018

December 21. Day 356. Bird watching

 At the edge of our favourite swimming hole today a woman asked me if I was looking for some special breed in the tree. She sensed my confusion. "It's just you have your camera and you were looking up," she said, not at all unreasonably. I was going to explain that I was actually an accidental bird watcher but that sounds ridiculous. The truth is I can now recognise far more birds than I really give myself credit for and certainly far more than I could when I started walking around with a camera in hand. And I do find myself looking up when I hear an unfamiliar bird call. Without really realising it, that's what I was doing this morning. It was rainbow bee-eaters. I may have caught a glimpse of them before but never scored the photographic proof until today. They are beautiful but little and fast and I did have two dogs so I consider myself very lucky and then just to top it off the black cockatoos flew by. Score.









No comments:

Post a Comment