-->

Friday, January 26, 2018

January 26. Day 26. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie




 Of course the date of Australia Day doesn't really bother me. Why would it? I'm a white Middle Class Aussie. But that's exactly why my opinion on the date doesn't count. I see the issue as not all that different from same sex marriage. For the majority, the date doesn't matter that much. But for those it matters to, it matters to a whole lot. The needs of the many, don't always outweigh the need of a few. And nor should they. Just change the date. It's the right thing to do. The only question is which date. It needs some sort of significance but it can't be offensive.
So to save Australia from a long and probably pointless argument I have chosen a new date. October 25. October 25 in 1923 was the day Vegemite first sold in Australia. It doesn't get any more Australian than that. In the meantime, I still think Australia and being Australian is worth celebrating. So I will be a patriotic little Aussie and a happy little Vegemite and celebrate Australia Day with a barbecue with friends, prawns, the pool and pav. But I shall also happily accept a change of date.



































No comments:

Post a Comment