-->

Thursday, November 8, 2018

November 8. Day 312. Ballot box


It is hard for someone like me really, really understand the conscription debate in World War1, Brisbane.  The fact is it is really hard for me to understand conscription at all. I don't really understand how you can force someone to enter a lottery that might lead them to fight to the death. I can't even really get my head around how a conscripted soldier would be an asset. But I'm a 2018 mother.  If I was a mother of a 20-year-old who was fighting in World War I, I would like the troops to support him. The Blood Votes, a Queensland Shakespeare Ensemble production which had its world premiere tonight, was able to shine a light on that position. It didn't seek to present a preferred position just to explain how the conscription vote was so close. Tonight's audience wasn't swayed but we were enlightened - and entertained and that's what good theatre is about.

















No comments:

Post a Comment