-->

Friday, October 6, 2017

October 6. Day 279. Let there be light




Parents shouldn't out live their children. They just shouldn't. But we know it happens and it breaks your heart when you see it. One can only imagine what living the reality would be. When Oliver was just a baby, I was present at the funeral of my cousin's two-year-old. He was claimed by leukemia. His little coffin with his little riding boots and Wiggles' toy on top still haunts me. A few years earlier we'd buried a close family friend who was only in her 20s. The young mum was also claimed by leukemia. There are no words. But there is hope. I'd forgotten about the Light the Night walk at South Bank tonight and stumbled on it by chance. The dogs and I decided to stay. We bought a gold light, one of three lanterns on sale. The gold was in memory of someone, the blue was for supporters of the cause and the white for those who are or have battled leukemia . I found myself talking to one white light holder, seven-year-old Chloe. Actually Chloe came to talk to my dogs. She liked Winkle because Winkle is crazy. I chatted to Chloe's mum Tam about the white lantern and found that the little girl was just seven months old when diagnosed. The family had to move from Tasmania to Melbourne for treatment. One can only imagine the anguish. But Chloe's story is a story of hope and a reason parades like this matter. She's passed the five years cancer-free milestone and is now officially considered cured. If that's not a reason to fund research I don't know what is.



















No comments:

Post a Comment