-->

Thursday, September 20, 2018

September 20. Day 264. SOS


This is me putting out an SOS call. The photographs may suggest that the damsel in distress is Miss Ashleigh and the big fat bully is my son. No, this is a Save Our Schonell SOS. This is about the theatre itself and not the Fame Show being performed there tonight.
I've seen so many shows since my teens at the Schonell but that era may be about to come to a close. The big, bad bully in this case is the theatre's owners The University of Queensland. A new master plan for the university redevelopment has been released and the area where the theatre stands doesn't have a theatre on it. The university says it is past its used by date.
True, the water I have seen gushing on stage during a tropical afternoon storm suggests the theatre needs work but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater or in this case the rainwater. Ir's a wonderful community performance space. It has an orchestra pit and a bloody awesome pizza restaurant. That's worth saving in my book.








No comments:

Post a Comment