-->

Thursday, September 21, 2017

September 21. Day 264. Secret ballot




I spent quite a bit of time after my lecture today just watching. I was watching noisy miners swooping on the ibis and student politicians swooping on students. It's guild election time and unlike most Australian elections, it is not compulsory to vote. So job one is to get students to actually give enough of a toss to cast a ballot. It is pretty hilarious watching our campaign teams chasing students as they go about their life. The best way to get the campaigners off your back is to vote and secure a wrist band signalling the fact to the world. If that isn't enough to get you to vote, there is an incentive. In exchange for a vote, each student receives a $5 voucher to spend at one of the shops run by the guild. You can't buy a vote but you can give incentives to vote. There would be documents outlining just what this costs but not that anyone can look at right now. During the election period they are unavailable, which kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me. But what would I know,  I'm not a student so I don't get to vote. All I got was a warning from a very polite security guard about not taking photos that identify students.







No comments:

Post a Comment