-->

Saturday, September 16, 2017

September 16. Day 259. The knives are out




While I might occasionally, sometimes, frequently whinge about my job, I don't really hate it. Education isn't actually about the 3Rs at all. It's the 3Ms I hate (marking, meetings and moderation). In all honesty, I know there are far worse things I could do. I don't build roads, I don't have to stand on my feet all day asking people how their day has been and I don't have to throw fire or knives at myself (even if it feels like it sometimes). Also, I get paid every fortnight without having to beg for it. In short I don't envy James Martin AKA Stuntman Jim. James was busking at South Bank when the dogs and I arrived late this afternoon. All the street performers I have seen at South Bank say pretty much the same thing at the end of their act. This is their job, they don't get paid for being there, they live on what audiences give them, please don't walk away. At least come and say thanks. And then the show finishes and most people run off without making eye contact. I went up and had a chat- and gave him the entire contents of my wallet which was $5 in gold coins. And then it occurred to me. There are lots of things that get harder in a largely cashless society and street performing has to be one of them. I don't carry cash. Swiping or tapping is my thing. As soon as my bank gets on board it will be my phone and that's it (until a chip is inserted in my arm). I'm not sure what the digital equivalent of passing the hat around is. Right now it seems like it's refusing to make eye contact and running away as soon as the show ends. This is a shame. The world would be a much duller place without the likes of Stuntman Jim.



















 







No comments:

Post a Comment