-->

Friday, August 24, 2018

August 24. Day 237. Sing. Sing a song


 My mother used to work as a physio in aged care. Some times, on the holidays, we would go with her on her rounds. It was torturous. They smelt terrible. They looked terrible and they sounded terrible, especially when it was "entertainment hour".  My siblings and I would joke about the horror of the songs they were singing along to. It always seemed as though it was If you Knew Suzy and/or Bye, Bye Blackbird. We cringed and hoped never to be sentenced to an institution. Mum would joke that by the time we were old enough, the play list would probably include Depeche Mode's I Just Can't Get Enough. Today all that flooded back as I visited Margaret at the nursing home where she is in respite. It was happy hour. There were fruit and cheese platters. Wine and beer was being served. Nothing smelled of wee or disinfectant. This is a whole new world. I can confirm that the song list has moved forward by a decade or three. I can also confirm that I Just Can't Get Enough was not performed today. It was very pleasant in the cocktail lounge on a Friday afternoon. Well so I thought. Margaret said it was "rowdy" and she never wanted to experience another happy hour. I can only imagine what she would have made of Depeche Mode.




No comments:

Post a Comment