-->

Saturday, September 13, 2014

September 13. Day 256. Quite a catch


The buffet breakfast.
Never has there been an invention more delightful and more disrespectful to the millions of food poor in the world. The amount of food returned to the kitchen after the staff cleaned up from breakfast at the Intercontinental Hotel would have fed the people of three third world nations - smoked salmon, cold meats, fresh fruits,cereals, juices, yogurt, pastries, doughnuts, pancakes, waffles, porridge, eggs any way you want them, baked beans, sausages, tomato, mushrooms, hash browns, wedges, mini pies, breads, preserves.
And those are only the bits I can remember.
We really do take food (and many other things) for granted. The buffet breakfast is something I do very rarely and this is probably just as well.
It is something to be savoured and the recovery time is long.
There was only one problem with this morning's feast - it was too good.
When we'd finished, we strolled to the marina in an optimistic attempt to walk off some of the calories just consumed.
There we met David Patane who was on his prawn trawler the St Omer.
He was selling his catch direct from the trawler at the Sanctuary Cover Marina. He only had "medium" prawns left. Given the size of them I can only imagine what the large ones looked like.
David, quite the character, offered me a prawn.
I left like Mr Creosote, the fat guy in Monty Python's Meaning of Life. I could easily have replied: "Look - I couldn't eat another thing. I'm absolutely stuffed. Bugger off." .. and the rude bit that comes after that.
If you know the wafer thin mint segment of the film you'll know exactly what words I speak of. 
So I politely declined. Next time David, next time. 
You'd have to be a prawn to knock those back.






No comments:

Post a Comment