-->

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March 20. Day 80. There's no place like home

Have you ever wondered what the job description of a mother would look like? Carer, cook, cleaner, counsellor, nurse, mediator, teacher and so it goes. You wear as many hats as there are hours (sometimes minutes) in a day.
Today my duty statement fell loosely into the category of costume creator. My brief: "I have to present a monologue given by Mark Antony in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. In costume."
I am not sure what surprised me more: that they present Shakespearean monologues in Year 9 or that I was told about this on Tuesday when the piece of assessment isn't until Thursday. I am sure many a parent will relate when I say such pieces of information are generally delivered the second the shops close on the night before the due date - if you are lucky.
I am a mother of many talents (she says with her tongue very firmly in her cheek) but my skill set does not include sewing (she says absolutely truthfully).
So off to the costume shop I go. Sometimes throwing money at the problem is the only way to preserve your sanity. Anyway, while I was there I was taken by row after row of ruby slippers. Apparently there are plenty of Wizard of Oz fans out there (or Wicked if you prefer and I do prefer). Hard to resist a pair of ruby slippers.
Now close your eyes and tap your heels together three times and think to yourself, "there's no place like home" - even if home is where the homework is.

2 comments: