-->

Sunday, March 30, 2014

March 30. Day 89. You can all go take a running jump

Almost by definition, the person with both feet on the ground is the person you would rely on in a crisis. That person it sensible, practical and realistic. But really is that what you would want when push really came to shove?
I think of it like this. Q is the thinker while Bond is the do-er and and the man at the front line of action is always Bond. James Bond. I admit, I'm more the Q type, prone to planning and being sensible rather than taking a risk. But that doesn't mean I don't admire the action types and today they were out in force under the freeway in the Ur.Bne festival. While rain put a bit of a dampener on some of the activities, it didn't stop the Australian Parkour Association members from going through their paces and introducing children to the sport. Parkour is (according to the association's website) a philosophy and method of movement through any environment with speed and efficiency. The concept is to overcome all physical and mental obstacles in your path by using your body and mind to run, climb, jump and vault.
 In other words, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line just as long as you are prepared to let nothing stand in your way.
I must say it looks awesome in action and I was dead impressed at just how quickly the young folk picked up the techniques involved.
But always to type, I stayed with both feet on the ground. Sure the straight line might be short but a scenic route with the dog on a drizzly Brisbane afternoon can also be an enjoyable distraction. We don't all need to be high fliers.

3 comments:

  1. Wow looks at them float! I wish i have their flexibility! Thanks for sharing these photos =) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing shots - when you're young you are fearless, as you get older you tend to second guess and way up the options of being hurt! Like you I think I'll leave this to the youngsters - I know my children would love to have a go. Thanks for linking up and sharing with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks very dangerous to me! (I am 17 months old!) but fun for when I'm older! You live in Australia?? Wowee is that a long way from Wales?

    ReplyDelete