-->

Thursday, August 1, 2013

August 1. Day 213. Living on the Edge

I admit. I'm a bit of a thrill seeker. I also admit I'm not at all a risk taker.
Parachuting, abseiling, paraflying, gliding, rock climbing, bungee jumping, hot air ballooning. Been there. Done that. Got the T Shirt.
Many people would find those things scary. To me, it's a matter of trust. If you believe in the power of the harness - and I do - the risk seems quite low.
If I didn't feel safe I probably wouldn't do it.
Other things scare me a lot more. Changing jobs, borrowing money, the waiting room in a children's emergency department, that thing that you can't quite put your finger on that makes you sit bolt upright in bed at three o'clock in the morning. These things feel like there is no harness. These forces are far less predictable than those like gravity.
Anyway, while many people on the Goodwill Bridge today clearly thought the maintenance squad was insane, I couldn't help thinking it would be a great job.
Uninterrupted views of the city and the river don't come much better than this. Nothing wrong with living on the edge occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment