-->

Sunday, July 22, 2012

July 22. Day 204. Old School

I send Thank-you letters.
We eat a roast every Sunday.
I'd rather phone someone than text them.
I know, how very old school of me.
The subject of what's "Old School" has been a hot topic in my house this week as my son has been brain storming ideas for the school photography competition. Interpret it as you will.
He decided to take a very literal interpretation and he took a photo of an old school building at the Caboolture Historical Village yesterday (pic below).
But the discussion led me to think about my own school days (I am, of course, very old in the eyes of my 14-year-old).
Things I fondly remember include hopscotch, marbles, skipping and elastic (although I admit I no longer have any idea how one plays elastic).
My 10-year-old niece Cleo tells me she still plays hopscotch. She even has a hopscotch mat. There are hopscotch lines on the playground at school.
So we went to have a look and while the lines are there we drew our own in chalk.
Apparently hopscotch isn't so old school after all. Even the cool kids still know how.

6 comments:

  1. Susan, I must be very old school as I fondly remember all the same things as you except for "elastic". Lovely hop scotch photo looking very old school! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rules are here http://www.ehow.com/how_7350088_play-elastic-kids-games.html
      Apparently it is called French skipping too. Never knew that (or more likely I forgot)

      Delete
  2. I remember the game with elastic. Isn't it French skipping, or have I made that up! Like cats cradle but with three people; 2 with the elastic hooped around them, a third jumping in and out and taking the elastic with them. Ankle height for beginners, higher up the legs for the experts!

    Great fun! Feeling nostalgic now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to love French Skipping, Hop Scotch, Tig, another game with chalk that we drew in the shape of a big snail with numbers, but I can't remember what it's called. Lovely pictures by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 27 and we used to use the elastic in the playground and play with marbles... although pogs were the proper craze. Great pictures x

    ReplyDelete