-->

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

June 6. Day 158. I'm your Venus

Generally a small black spot on an otherwise perfect object is far from desirable. In fact, it is likely to have you rushing for the nearest cleaning fluid.
Not when the black spot is Venus transiting across the front of the sun, a once in a century event.
While I would consider myself a sun worshipper rather than a star gazer I was not going to let slip by an event that won't be repeated until 2117.
I was not alone. The lawns outside the Planetarium were humming with people anxious to have a look.
A galaxy of astronomers (okay, that probably isn't the right collective noun but I'm going with it) was there with telescopes that proved that size does, in fact, matter regardless of what the boys tell you.
I was really impressed with their willingness to share their time, knowledge and equipment with anyone who wanted a peep.

1 comment:

  1. Look up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's the transit of Venus.. What a week a Lunar eclipse earlier in the week and a near nightly crossings of a very bright ISS will cross the SEQ sky tonight. It comes up in the West at 5:58 pm. Wednesday

    ReplyDelete