-->

Sunday, June 3, 2012

June 3. Day 155. Royal seal of approval

To celebrate the Queen's diamond jubilee, the gates to Government House Queensland were thrown open and Her Majesty's subjects in Brisbane were invited in for an Open Day and Community Fair.
Given all the pomp and ceremony in London this weekend it was a much more laid back Brisbane affair with school bands and choirs, house and garden tours and a tree planting.
I love this photo of brothers Ollie and Leuca who were sitting on the rather soggy lawn enjoying lunch with Dad Jeremy. I mean, really, nothing says an Aussie celebration better than a sausage sizzle especially one with a Royal seal of approval. Forget a cucumber sandwich, I bet a snag and a bit of tomato sauce is what the Queen would really like to chow down on.
I watched the Governor Penelope Wensley walk among the crowd and couldn't help but be impressed by her down-to-earth attitude. I am sure I am breaking about 300 different protocols and am now liable to be charged with treason but I can report that she told the volunteers that:
1) her hair gets unbelievably frizzy and uncontrollable in the rain
and
2) she had to abandon a plan to wear a fetching pair of shoes that matched her frock because they would have been trashed in the mud
She strikes me as a perfect person to represent the Queen in Queensland. There's only one problem. I simply fail to comprehend why a big grown up country like Australia thinks we need a head of state in another country.
So if I didn't commit treason before, I guess I just did then.
Sixty years on the throne is a remarkable achievement and one that should be celebrated. Now can we all just move on.

15 comments:

  1. Hahaha. The little one is saying "Get your beady eyes off my sausage sarnie - it's mine!" Brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely photo capturing the moment, I can see where you are coming from on the need for the Queen, but somehow she is part of history and a part to be proud of. Thanks for joining in again and sharing your fun and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pic! Looks like the older one is after the other sandwich too lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha I like how the older by is leaning into say something silly to the younger one, who is not at all impressed! Maybe he thinks his sausage sandwich is in danger!? X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab shot of the two of them together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful picture.... i need a sausage sandwich for breakfast now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a bit confused about the situation with Australia and it does all seem a bit strange! Good excuse for a party though and a lovely photo as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the conspiratory way that they are discussing something, do you think they were discussing treason too ;-)

    Thanks for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha love the facial expressions

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha brilliant facial expressions

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the pure devilment on the older ones face

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing like a sausage sarnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the expressions xxx

    ReplyDelete