-->

Monday, June 30, 2014

June 30. Day 181. The icing on the cake

Australia is the best country in the world and I have no desire to live anywhere else. That being said, however, I do feel very jealous of my sister and friends who live overseas who are able to enjoy the benefits of the live-in nanny. While I have some serious reservations about the ethics of some of the employment conditions and wages in these arrangements, if I lived there I'd be having the live-in domestic as quick as look at you. But I don't. I do, however, have the next best thing. Six hours a week I have a Christy the domestic goddess. The brief is very elastic. Christy might be hanging out washing, cleaning the floor, driving Mum's taxi, cooking dinner, walking the dog or discussing the latest television must-see series with the teen. In short, Christy takes off the load by taking on jobs I would normally do. It's my working mother survival strategy. But there is more. Christy does things I would never or could never do. Not in a million years. Tonight three dozen cupcakes - mocha with espresso cream and chocolate rocky road varieties - were created in my kitchen for a start of a financial year event at my accountant husband's workplace tomorrow. I would have taken on this job previously in as much as I would have walked the credit card to the nearest cupcake bakery and handed over the cash. But how good is it to be able to supply cakes made in our kitchen? This, quite literally, is the icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment