-->

Saturday, September 22, 2012

September 22. Day 266. Children of the Revolution

There is no doubt that when a parent loses a job, the whole family suffers.
There is also no doubt that children are very aware of what is going on around them, often far more aware than we give them credit for.
But I have to admit to feeling just a little disquiet about seeing children in front line protests. Not for a moment do I think that children should be seen and not heard. Nor do I think we can shelter kids from what's happening in the world around them.
But the arming them with placards and taking them to demonstrations I admit leaves me feeling uncomfortable.
It makes little difference whether I believe in the cause or not but when I see kids manning the lines outside abortion clinics, marching in the Islamic protests in Sydney or attending union rallies I feel torn.
Children deserve a voice and 10-year-old Chloe was able to articulately explain to the television cameras at today's job cut rally in Brisbane why she was protesting.
The protest needs a face to make it personal but whether a child still eight years away from being older enough to vote should be that face I don't know.
But as the T Rex song said "You can't fool children of the revolution"

No comments:

Post a Comment