-->

Thursday, September 13, 2012

September 13. Day 257. RUOK Day

It's RUOK Day. The day where we are supposed to take the time to ask others how they are travelling. It's just a gentle reminder talk to ourselves and those around us and question if things really are okay and importantly listen to the answer.
It's a question I've asked myself a bit lately and I've decided today to admit the answer has been no, not really. Inspired by the two random photos I took on my walk this morning I will describe it as being a bit like the unicyclist - I was heading in the right direction but it was decidedly wobbily, a bit like one of the wheels had fallen off. Like the crow, there was a feeling like I had bitten off more than I could chew and was constantly walking around on egg shells for fear something would break.
So I fronted to the GP, cried a lot and emerged with a prescription for antidepressants. I won't say that the fog has lifted, in fact for the first few days all I felt was nauseous. But I do feel a renewed clarity and focus and an ability to tackle what everyday life throws at me.
So am I okay? Yes, not exactly on top of the world yet and still a bit wobbily but I really feel I'm getting there.
I sincerely hope that anyone reading this is also okay and if not finds the courage to ask for help. It took me too long. I hope others are wiser.


5 comments:

  1. A brave and honest post Susan. Your words are so important. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Annie, and I guess your situation is a little masked by the fact that we anticipate your photo each day, interact with you on twitter and look forward to hearing you each week on the radio with Spencer. A reminder we shouldn't wait for the second Thurs in September to ask our friends R U OK?

      Delete
  2. A great post Susan... I hope you keep climbing back out of that place. I think we all fall in there sometimes. Honesty is so important. Nothing is more scary than someone sliding down who is not brave enough to grab hold of a rope offered to them.
    Hugs
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I drafted a long comment on this but deleted it out of self doubt. All I can say is thank you for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit to a huge doubt of self doubt. Wrote the post and then sat on it for eight hours just not sure about talking about something so personal. The reaction says I made the right call. Thank-you for reading and commenting

      Delete