-->

Monday, November 10, 2014

November 10. Day 314. Night Owl

Night Owl (noun) a person who is habitually active or wakeful at night.
Night Owl (shop) the convenience store that sells bucket-sized frozen Cokes to the person is up all night to help them get through the day.
I am way too familiar with both these concepts. I have locked myself into a routine where I am up working until all hours and then too tired to function all day. Frozen Cokes have become my friend despite at least a decade of being certified Coke-free. Still we do what we have to do and at least I know I am in good company. Not only is just about every teenager keeping similar hours but my faithful fur friend has a silent pact to do what I do. He sleeps when I sleep (he sleeps much of the rest of the day too because it's a dog's life). We make a good pair, Rumple and I. It was Rumple who alerted me to the presence of this juvenile tawny frogmouth in a tree near the back fence. The owl was well hidden but the incessant barking demanded I look up - and there was the owl sitting there looking completely unperturbed by the insane dog going off his nut. Let's face it the owl has very distinct advantages. It can fly AND I've seen the photos of owls eating creatures not much smaller than my fur friend. This bloke doesn't even need the 24 hour convenience store to be fed in the middle of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment